Writer's Block

The Most Frustrating Part:


It was midnight. The crickets were busy outside in my garden. Kids had gone to bed. Hubby looked cozy tucked in. Heard a few police sirens whooshing by, followed by another bout of silence. Am I an insomniac? No. I love my sleep. But a small baby was forming inside me. Naughty.... shut your imagination now. I did not mean the ones growing from cells- the kicking ones. But the ones formed with the joining of words and ideas. A story was being born in my head and like all mothers- I wanted to nurture my baby. 

So what was the problem? Remember Rip Van Winkle? The one who came back from his slumber, only to find the world has changed around him. Well, relate that to a housewife who had all her life spent looking after her family. At forty, I woke up. I wanted to fulfill my long cherished dream of writing a novel, becoming famous and signing ONE autograph. (Don’t want to be greedy). 

Always been a romantic. Happily ever after- was not a lost cause for me for there is always hope for true love irrespective of the fallen economy, women liberation and men still trying to understand the role of women in the modern society. So I sat down and wrote a very cute story. 

He met her. She met him. Attraction flared. Both were drawn towards each other. Fighting it off because they were both too egoist to declare their love (by the way I really used some big words - from the thesaurus section of Dictionary.com). And here is the climax - girl fell down the horse and the guy realized his love for her when he saw her lying motionless on the green grass. Phew! 

Easy wasn't it. I felt so proud of myself. Typed it to perfection, checked the spelling and the grammar, re-read in about five more times and……

Wham! It struck me that I did not know where to send it. It was not as if Mills and Boon, my dream debut from the age of 12 was waiting for me. And moreover, was it good enough for the publishers to accept it? Well, I wouldn't know the answer till I took the plunge. And I did it.!

What happened after that ..... ? Next blog :) 

Share on Google Plus

About Rubina Ramesh

0 comments:

Post a Comment