The Indian Mills&Boon Authors

I remember that night. I was 12 years old. Mamma was sleeping and I crept quietly to her room, to reach out for the forbidden shelve of books. Little me did not understand why I was not supposed to touch that. But, as luck would have it, I toppled all the books over me and landed up with my Mamma and Daddy looming over me. At first concerned and after that a tirade of verbal do's and don'ts hit me.

After the first attempt to reach the treasure was spoilt, I started thinking ways and means of reaching that goal. But strange as it may sound, few days later Mamma came up to me and gave me my first Mills&Boon to read. It was Blind Man;s Buff by Victoria Gordon. This story was one of the sweetest story I had ever read. During the early 80's the Mills&Boons were not much explicit in sexual content.(at least the ones I read.) The story was sweet where the Hero was blind and how the girl overcomes his aversion on any display of love or pity towards his condition. (I think I got the story right. Forgive me if I am wrong, it was so long time ago.)

What I do remember is my journey with Mills&Boon started after that. Of course I am a great fan of Sidney Sheldon, Catherine Cookson, Nora Roberts, Agatha Cristie, Daneille Steele but my all time favorite became Penny Jordon. (Loved her and will miss her books.)

Anyway, after marriage and kids the most stollen treasured minutes were those when I would lose myself in these romantic novels. Many people say that the rate of divorce is increasing in India because of the Mills&Boon. What rubbish! If a woman cannot differentiate between a fiction and reality she should stick to reading newspapers

Now in India a new trend has come up. Due to the popularity of the novels between the age range of 16 -60, (ok. I started a bit early :) they have come out with stories by Indian writers and in an Indian setup. This is becoming popular since the women of India can relate to the stories.

Below I will be listing some of the authors who have come out with the Indian stories. I have not read all since getting them in the US is difficult.

It started with Milan Vohra writing the 'The Love Asana'. 

It was the story based on revenge.The protagonists of the story Vivan Parashar and Pari are caught up in game of revenge. Vivan wanted revenge from Pari’s brother because he blamed him for pushing his sister in committing suicide. And what would be more suitable than to make Deepak suffer in the same way.

Pari on the other hand had enough of men. A violent father and a deceitful boyfriend (Men!!) was enough to make her seek her own independence. But she did have an Achilles’ heel- her brother Deepak. (Thank god, otherwise what would Vivan do?)

Anyway Vivan found that out and used it to his benefit.(??? Naughty Vivan!) He made it clear that she could save her brother’s company only if she ‘gives herself up to him’ (where are the sweet romances of he met her?) But then instead of a live in, he proposes to her or rather forces her to marry him.(See guys, he is a good boy. So what, if he is a bit angry at first.)
Pari had no idea why he was doing this to her and on top of that she considers him to be a playboy. After many a misunderstandings and ups and downs they discover true love and live happily ever after(?) in a true Mills&Boon style.


Then came Astha Atray’s ‘His Monsoon Bride.’ Sorry I could not get hold of a copy for this book so I am giving the synopsis of what I found in Goodreads. Will update this when I get hold of this book. I could not find it in Amazon also.

An ideal wife?

Piramal Industries is the jewel in Mehtab Rathod’s crown, but he needs a wife to convince the board his playboy days are over and that he’s finally settled down to business – even if it’s just for show!
Amrita Piramal grew up playing the faultless hostess, helping her father to woo investors – and, with her delicious curves, Mehtab knows she’ll make the perfect trophy wife.
With her family bankrupt, Amrita is forced to accept Mehtab’s shocking proposal – but that doesn’t mean she’ll be obedient!
Soon the spark of defiance flares into attraction, and their fake marriage starts to feel all too real!(less)

Shoma Narayanan's ' The Monsoon Wedding Fever' was the first book to be released in the global market. So, it had many  more happy readers.(I have already covered this in my earlier blog). 

So, Gals now we have to wait for Mahi Jay to take us in another journey of the Tall, Dark and Handsome whisking a petite beauty off her feet.












Share on Google Plus

About Rubina Ramesh

0 comments:

Post a Comment